The holidays are just around the corner, and I know we’re all excited about Christmas, Hanukkah, and all of these holidays. Just a reminder that some pets may not benefit as much….
Today morning, when getting ready for school, I noticed that Tess was chewing on something under our Christmas tree. Now, our tree is 5 feet tall and made of PLASTIC, which is extremely dangerous to cats and dogs, and virtually any other living thing that ingests it. after a second, I realized that Tess was chewing on the BASE OF THE TREE, which had tiny plastic spines just like the ‘leaves’. I immediately shooed her away from the tree before she hurt herself, but you can never be too careful.
Every year we’ve had this problem, and we’ve had to keep her away as best we could until she got the message–and then forgot again the next year. I just want to remind you that while we’re all celebrating, the pets are a little disoriented, but sometimes still just do what they want to–play with decorations, eat the food, and things like that.
Try not to feed your pet YOUR food on YOUR table unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that your pet can ingest it safely and happily. Also, anything harmful to pets should be kept out of reach. We can all be a little lax around the holidays.
Another thing: evergreen Christmas trees tend to shed pine needles. Even if the tree is fake, (and I have this problem too) the plastic ‘spikes’ also fall to the floor. Make sure that even if your pet likes to play with them, all of them are cleaned up regularly so as to limit possibility of attempted digestion.
Thanks for reading! Be safe, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!! 😀