Your cat needs a comfortable place to sleep, besides your own bed! You might want to make him/her a nice, one-of-a-kind bed to suit his/her purr-sonality. It’s cheaper and more customized than the average sleeping place! Here are some creative ideas for building your own cat nap bed.
What you need:
- Large cardboard box
- Nontoxic glue
- Fabric, foam, padding
- Decorations (stickers, feathers, rhinestones)
What you do:
- Cut the top off a large cardboard box so that it reaches about 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) high. Also cut a small space for your kitty to walk through.
- Place padding for your cat to lay inside the box–this can be fabric, foam, or another kind of padding (You can even use an old pillowcase). To secure the padding to the box, line it with nontoxic glue.
- Choose a fabric to place on the outside of the box (This can be a fun patter, your cat’s favorite colors, or decorated to match the room–whatever you want). Use glue to affix the fabric around the box.
- Line the inside or edges of the bed with different kinds of fabrics using glue. If your kitty has a wild side, he/she might like leopard-print or faux fur. A romantic kitty may prefer pink tulle or dark velvet.
- For the final touches, add some cute decorations that bring out your cat’s personality: spell out his/her name with rhinestones or affix some fun feathers with nontoxic glue.
There you have it! Now kitty’s got her very own couture cat bed. What a sleeping beauty!
–Taken from Scholastic’s “I ❤ Kittens”